Getting to Pakse
Transportation to get to Pakse most common options are the plane and bus.
Aircraft and Pakse Airport
On the outskirts of Pakse, on the west side of the city, is the Pakse International Airport where the airline Lao Airlines is the only airline that operates flights with origin or destination Pakse. The airport is very close to the city centre, just a 5-minute tuk-tuk.
Buses to and from Pakse
The city of Pakse has excellent bus communications. Expensive tickets, prices low-cost of the bus and night bus makes bus transport most popular medium to move by Laos.
There are 4 stations of buses in Pakse:
- Chitpasong bus station: also called bus station VIP or Pakse central station. It is located in the heart of the city of Pakse, a few meters from Pakse Hotel and the new market Tang Frères.
- Kriang Kai bus station: popularly known by the nickname of the 2 km bus station. On some maps of Pakse is called at this point the station Kieng Kai.
- North of Pakse station: located 10 km outside of Pakse.
- South of Pakse station: commonly 8 km station, place where buses depart to the 4000 Islands of the Mekong.
Chitpasong bus station
The VIP bus from Pakse station. Place from which the buses king of bus to Thailand. It is the station of buses most used by foreign travellers, since buses are more comfortable, larger and higher quality. The Chitpasong bus station is located in the heart of Pakse, southwest of the city (there is a map at the end of the article).
To purchase bus tickets between Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam can be purchased directly at the box office the VIP Chitpasong Pakse station.
Bus Kriang Kai (season km 2)
Kriang Kai bus station, also called Kieng Kai bus station or bus station in 2 km is the second most important bus from Pakse station. Located at 2 km to the East of the city of Pakse (10-15 minutes walk), is on the way to the Talat Dao Heung market (see to see and do in Pakse).
From Kriang Kai bus station there are buses to Vientiane, Luang Prabang and other cities in Laos. This bus station is partially covered by a Market Street in the open air which is mounted at its doors. Bus tickets can be purchased at the box office which is at the entrance of the bus station Kriang Kai or at any travel agency of the Centre of Pakse.
Bus schedules Pakse
These are the bus times to different cities in Laos and buses to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.
Schedules domestic bus Pakse
|Pakse||Don Khong / Hatxaykoun||7:45||50,000 kip|
|Pakse||Don Det||7:45||50,000 kip|
|Pakse||Don Khone||7:45||50,000 kip|
|Pakse||Luang Prabang||7:45||370,000 kip|
|Pakse||Thakek (local bus)||8:00||90,000 kip|
|Pakse||Savannakhet (local bus)||8:00||70,000 kip|
|Pakse||Don Khong||8:00||55,000 kip|
|Pakse||Don Det and Don Khon||8:00||55,000 kip|
|Pakse||Vientiane (VIP bus)||8:30||170,000 kip|
|Pakse||Luang Prabang||8:30||355,000 kip|
|Pakse||Savannakhet (local bus)||9:00||70,000 kip|
|Pakse||Thakek (local bus)||9:00||90,000 kip|
|Pakse||Savannakhet (local bus)||10:00||70,000 kip|
|Pakse||Thakek (local bus)||10:00||90,000 kip|
Schedules international bus Pakse
International bus routes Pakse are: Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam.
Pakse bus schedules - Cambodia
|Pakse||Stung Treng||7:30||130,000 kip|
|Pakse||Kampong Cham||7:30||200,000 kip|
|Pakse||Phnom Penh||7:30||220,000 kip|
|Pakse||Siem Reap||7:30||250,000 kip|
Pakse bus schedules - Thailand
|Pakse||Ubon Ratchathani||7:40||80,000 kip|
|Pakse||Ubon Ratchathani||15:00||80,000 kip|
Pakse bus schedules - Vietnam
|Pakse||Ho Chi Minh City||4:00||340,000 kip|
|Pakse||Lao Bao (VIP bus)||6:30||220,000 kip|
|Pakse||Hue (VIP bus)||6:30||230,000 kip|
|Pakse||Danang (VIP bus)||6:30||250,000 kip|
|Pakse||Dong Ha (VIP bus)||6:30||210,000 kip|
|Pakse||Lao Bao||6:30||200,000 kip|
Motorbike and Bicycle Pakse
One of the best ways to get around Pakse and its surroundings is by bike, to visit the plateau Bolaven Plateau will be necessary to rent a bike. In the Centre of Pakse, on the same road 13 may rent bicycles for 10,000 kip / day (1€) and also rent motorbike for 60,000 kip / day (6€).
Rent a car in Pakse
For a larger group of people who want to visit the surroundings of Pakse (Vat Phu for example) an interesting option is to rent a car with or without driver.
Map of Pakse
A map of downtown Pakse where Chitpasong stations and bus station Kriang Kai appear.
Video of the road Pakse - 4000 Islands of the Mekong
The 4 hour journey by road from Pakse of Si Phan Don (the 4000 islands of the Mekong) is by road van or minibus, here you have the video.
Video of the road Pakse - 4000 Islands of the Mekong
Related transport in Pakse
- What to see and do in Pakse all tourist spots in and around Pakse
- Pakse information and city map of Pakse, the capital of Champasak
- Where to eat in Pakse recommendations for restaurants in the city of Pakse (Champasak, Laos)
- Where to stay in Pakse recommendations of hotels and hostels in the city of Pakse (Champasak, Laos)
- Vat Phou the temple and sanctuary of Vat Phou (Wat Phu) south of Pakse
- Bolaven Plateau Waterfalls Tad Fane waterfalls, Tad Lo, Tad Suong, Tad Yuang and Phaxuam cliff
- Si Phan Don 4000 Islands of the Mekong River, south of Pakse route to Cambodia
- Savannakhet General tourist information and the colonial city of Savannakhet