In the Mekong delta of more than 20 million people live, occupies an area of 40,000 square kilometres distributed in a total of 13 provinces Vietnamese: An Giang, Bac Lieu, Ben Tre, Ca Mau, Can Tho, Dong Thap, Hau Giang, Kien Giang, Long An, Soc Trang, Tien Giang, Tra Vinh and Vinh Long.
Cities and landmarks in the Mekong Delta
It would take many days to tour around the Mekong Delta, but we can highlight the following points:
- Can Tho the largest city in the Mekong Delta and city where stands the longest and most expensive of all Vietnam bridge.
- Cai Rang floating market with greater commercial activity of all the Mekong Delta, South of the city of Can Tho and most famous.
- My Tho the point closest to Ho Chi Minh City in the Mekong Delta, with tours and excursions of half-day from the former City of Saigon. In My Tho we find water channels and Islands that form between averages of the jungle.
- Chau Doc in the confines of Vietnam, crossing point forced for travelers who sail boat / Mekong speedboat bound for Cambodia. Border point between Vietnam and Cambodia, with mixture of cultures, markets and houses on stilts, the incredible Tay An pagoda but popularly known as the place where depart the boats bound for Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital.
- Cai Be floating markets greatest one of all Vietnam and a small town with a French colonial Cathedral.
- Ca Mau away from mass tourism, Cau Mau offers an avial reserve and the incredible natural park U Minh.
- Cao Việc place where we can find a cemetery / monument to the memory of the soldiers of the Viet Cong killed during the Vietnam war with over 3000 graves. We also have an avial sanctuary and several natural parks such as the Tram Chim National Park and natural park Tam Rung. In the surroundings of Cao Việc we have ancient of Quyt Xeo military base.
- Tien has been located in the Gulf of Thailand, is the port where you take the ferry with destination to the Phu Quoc Island.
- Rach Gia another entrance door to Phu Quoc.
- Long Xuyen the second most important city in the Mekong Delta after Can Tho, where is located the famous Isla Tigre (Ong Ho Island).
- Vinh Long capital of the province of the same name offers visitors museums of the war in Vietnam and temples, but the highlight is the tourist Island An Binh.
- Sa Dec the so-called Venice Vietnamese is a colonial city that rises along the canals of the Mekong Delta, which although far from authentic Venice, Sa Dec has a very colorful and important flower market.
Floating markets of the Mekong Delta
Floating markets are one of the biggest tourist attractions in the Mekong Delta, which although are slowly yielding its popularity to shopping districts and malls, many are still active in the floating markets of the Mekong Delta. Most important are the touristically speakingCai Rang floating market in the Cai Be floating market in Tien Giang and Can Tho.
Floating markets of the Mekong Delta
The market of Cai Rang is the increased commercial activity of all Vietnam, but Phung Hiep floating market is the greatest of all, since it is located at the intersection of 7 major channels. We also emphasize the Phong Dien floating market 20 kilometers from the city of Can Tho.
Map of the Mekong Delta
This is a map of the most important points of the Mekong Delta: Bac Lieu, Ben Tre, Cai Be, Ca Mau, Can Tho, Cao Việc, Chau Doc, Cu Lao Gieng, Has Tien, Long Xuyen, My Tho, Rach Gia, Sa Dec, Soc Trang, Tra On, Tra Vinh and Vinh Long.
Mekong Delta Map (click to enlarge)
Curiosities on the Mekong Delta
The Mekong delta is known with the name of Vietnam pantry, not without reason since it is the area with the highest production of all Vietnam rice. In fact best throughout Vietnam rice comes from the mekong delta, although Delta fruits and hortizalas are also grown.
Excursions to the Mekong Delta
For our adventures in the Mekong Delta we find countless waterways, paddy fields, small ships and boats, farmers, fishermen and even floating markets.
Regarding the excursions and tours of the Mekong Delta can be divided into 2 kinds: 1 day tours that visit the Mekong delta somewhere or boat tours / cruise sailing the Mekong Delta and stopping at different points (some of these tours on the Delta of the Mekong continue into Cambodia and the temples of Ankgkor).
1 day excursions by the Mekong Delta
If you only have 1 day to visit the Mekong Delta we recommend go from Ho Chi Minh City until My Tho by all travel by boat, to navigate well the china sea and also the channels and Islands that make up this part of the delta.
As a second alternative of visit by the mekong in 1 single day (but even much), can go by bus from Saigon to the Cai Be floating market, then navigate the Mekong until My Tho River boat, and finally return by bus to Ho Chi Minh City.
Boat Tours for several days by the Mekong Delta
The most popular option and type of sightseeing we recommend that if you have 2 / 3 days is browse by boat in the Mekong delta by visiting the city of Can Tho, which is located 4 hours away from Ho Chi Minh City, and the floating market of Cai Rang.
A tour by boat visiting the highlights of the Mekong Delta could be Can Tho, Chau Doc, Vinh Long and the floating market of Cai Rang.
From Vietnam to Cambodia (Angkor Temples) by the Mekong Delta
Options for transportation from Vietnam to Cambodia (normally the Angkor temples in Siem Reap City) are the airplane, bus and the boat / speedboat (no rail line in Cambodia).
Air tickets from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap have a high price in high season, so the alternative low-cost transport from Vietnam to Cambodia are the bus and boat or speedboat.
Boat trip along the Mekong from Vietnam to Cambodia (click to enlarge)
Both the bus and the speedboats take while in cover tour Ho Chi Minh City - Phnom Penh and toured Phnom Penh - Siem Reap (Angkor temples): between 6 and 8 hours each way. Go directly from Ho Chi Minh City to the temples of Angkor (12 hours) can be long travel, although there are night buses covering the route (see Coach from Vietnam to Cambodia).
Regardless of that we use the bus or the speedboat, we will have to make scale in Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital, and may make night there or continue until the end of the trail, Siem Riep (temples of Angkor).
We do not advise combining bus and boat, because you have to move from the bus station to the pier or vice versa.
Related to the Mekong Delta
- My Tho the main entrance to the Mekong Delta from Saigon
- The Temples of Angkor the largest religious building in the world, at the end of the Mekong Delta
- Visa to Cambodia information, price and how OBTI visa to the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Vietnam and Cambodia Forum questions, queries and recommendations by Travel Forum Vietnam and Cambodia