Information about the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge
It is important to emphasize that there are several bridges of friendship between Thailand and Laos, for example in the city of Savannakhet There is one, however all most popular friendship bridge is the bridge linking the Thai province of Nong Khai with Vientiane, the capital of Laos.
He is a bridge of 1.17 km long above the Mekong River built in the year 1994, the first of all the bridges of friendship between Thailand and Laos, this bridge usually refers to it as the friendship bridge No. 1, which links the District Mueang Nong Khai (Nong Khai province, Thailand) with the Prefecture of Vientiane (Laos).
This bridge is one of the most common forms of crossing the Thai and Laotian borders from points near Vientiane and Chiang Mai and Udon Thani.
Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge opening hours
The Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge (Mueang Nong Khai and Vientiane borders) is open every day of the week from 6:00 until 22:00 without interruption.
Crossing the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge
The process to cross the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge is:
- Pay, if applicable, the fine for stay longer count in the country (known as overstay).
- Pay output tax. If we are crossing from Laos the tax are 10,000 kip (about 1€), if we are crossing from Thailand there is nothing to pay.
- Cross the passport control still teaching our passport, at this point we have not left the country from where we crossed, either Thailand or Laos.
- If we come from Laos to Thailand direction, we cross check some lathes where we have paid the departure tax Laos.
- Buy tickets for the bus to cross the bridge at the box office, situated a few meters from the bus. The price is 4,000 kip or 20 baht (approx. 0.5€).
- The bridge by bus, is forbidden to cross on foot or by bike.
- Crossing the area of immigration and visas-on-arrival. In the case of Thailand is not required visa (see Visa to Thailand(), to enter Laos Yes it is necessary visa, it is processed in the same friendship bridge (see) Visa to Laos).
To make it more clear the immigration process in the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge, here you have a step by step visual guide.
Departure tax and penalty for overstay
The first step to cross the Friendship Bridge is to pay the fine for stay long (if applicable) and pay the departure tax, 10,000 kip in the case of Laos (1€) and free for Thailand.
In the case of leave Laos, after paying tax of output they will give us a card or ticket to be able to cross the bridge.
Passport control before leaving the country
The last step before leaving the country, is crossing passport control to check that everything is in order. In the case of Laos is very simple, the Thai side checks have not exceeded the maximum time of stay in Thailand and in case of having it passed, that the fee has been paid by corresponding overstay.
The bus to cross the Friendship Bridge
It is forbidden to cross the friendship bridge No. 1 on foot or by bicycle, it is necessary to take the bus to travel the distance of 1.17 km of the bridge.
The taqulla to the ticket booth is right next to the bus.
The bus ticket costs 20 baht or 4,000 kips (approx. 0.5€), amount that is paid in cash at any of the 2 mentioned currencies.
The bus to cross the friendship bridge has a frequency of 20 minutes, but if the bus is completely filled, will depart immediately.
Immigration across the Friendship Bridge
After crossing the bridge of friendship, it must cross the immigration area of the country he arrived, Thailand or Laos, and if applicable on the basis of nationality, processing a visa-on-arrival.
To access to Thailand do not need visa ( varies according to nationality, see Visa to Thailand(), simply put a stamp in the Passport that will allow a stay in Thailand for 15 days (30 in the case of arriving in the country by plane).
In case you want to enter Laos do need to process an on -arrival visa (see Visa to Laos(), is required to pay an amount in cash, fill a form and submit photographs.
Entry into Thailand or Laos
Once through immigration control and processed, if applicable, the on -arrival visa, has already crossed the bridge of friendship and has come to the country concerned, either Thailand or Laos.
Transportation on the bridge of friendship
Once crossed the friendship bridge is necessary, take a tuk-tuk to reach to get to Vientiane or Nong Khai bus station. It is also possible to take a taxi or a limousine, obviously the price is higher.
Nok Air: low - cost tickets between Bangkok and Vientiane
One of the cheapest to fly between Vientiane and Bangkok options is to use the company Thai low-cost Nok Air. It's a combined ticket bus and plane where it flies from Bangkok (DMK Don Mueang International) airport to Udon Thani, and take a mini-bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane. The journey can be done in the opposite direction and the Combi-ticket price is 30€, taking 6 hours to go through the Vientiane - Bangkok route. Tickets are booked directly from the Nok Air website www.nokair.com.
Related to the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge
- What to see and do in Bangkok the most beautiful corners of the capital of Thailand, Bangkok
- Visa to Laos I can? Process the on -arrival visa for Laos at the Friendship Bridge?
- Visa to Thailand Thailand visa information, entrance fees and departure
- Ayutthaya the ancient capital of Thailand and the Kingdom of Siam, Ayutthaya Historical Park